5 techniques for asking questions
Controversial discussions during meetings can quickly become emotionally charged. Read on to find out how you can defuse these situations and buy time by asking the right questions.
- Paraphrase: “If I've understood you correctly, you mean...?”
- Ask direct questions: “What exactly do you mean when you say that...?”
- Empathy: “It seems to bother you (that)...?”
- Counter-question: “What alternative solution would you consider?”
- Seemingly harmless questions of clarification: “What I didn't quite understand was...?”